This has become our go-to salad for several reasons:
- The ingredients are easy to buy at Trader Joe’s or any grocery store.
- The fork-fulls are crunchy, crisp, and fresh.
- The salad dressing is light and tangy and a perfect compliment to sweet apples.
- It doesn’t feel like you’re eating a salad (in other words, it doesn’t taste like diet food!)
1 bag of your preferred lettuce $1.99*
1 apple, cut into bite-size pieces $0.49
2 ounces gorgonzola $0.65
1 cup walnuts, chopped $3.00
1/2 cup salad dressing (recipe below) $1.35
Total Cost= $7.48
Rinse lettuce, pat dry, and place in salad bowl. Top with crumbled gorgonzola, chopped apple, and chopped walnuts.
Whip up your dressing, and pour evenly over salad. Toss and serve.
* We buy bagged lettuce (usually spring mix) at Trader Joe’s…and it really is $1.99. Go see for yourself!
For the dressing:
1/4 cup WHITE balsalmic vinegar* $0.75
1/4 cup good olive oil $0.50
1 tablespoon dijon mustard $0.10
Total Cost = $1.35
Combine vinegar and mustard in small bowl…whisk together with a fork. Sllllooowwwwllly add the olive oil, whisking constantly to combine.
*Trader Joe’s has white balsamic vinegar at a very reasonable price. Try it!