- 1/4 cup (56 g) flour
- Salt and finely ground white pepper
- 2 skate wings, skinned and boned out
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) butter
- 1 tablespoon (14g) capers
- 1/2 cup (112 g) croutons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sprig flat parsley, finely chopped
- Peeled, seeded segments of 1 lemon (optional)
1. Put the flour in the shallow bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Dredge the fish in the flour and shake off the excess. Re-season the fish with salt and pepper.
2. In the saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon (14 g) of the butter over medium-high heat. When the butter has foamed and subsided, add the fish and cook over high heat for 2 minutes.
3. Add 1 more tablespoon (14 g) of butter and turn the fish, cooking the other side for 2 minutes. Transfer the fish to the serving platter.
4. Discard the butter from the pan and then add the remaining 2 tablespoons (28 g) of butter. Cook over high heat until it foams and subsides, then add the capers and croutons. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the lemon juice and parsley. (You can add the lemon segments at this point as well.) Remove from the heat and spoon the sauce over the fish.
Recipe from Anthony Bourdain’s Les Halles Cookbook. Another internet version of the recipe can be found here.